SUMMER CAMP 2016
Every year the Kansas Oil Museum offers two week-long summer camps for children ages 8-12. These camps make full use of our galleries, outdoor exhibit area, and education collections, and provide an exciting hands-on way for kids to learn about the history and science that have shaped Butler County and Kansas.
Our 2016 summer camps are rapidly approaching! We are pleased to announce that generous sponsorships from the local community have made it possible for us to offer each child who signs up FREE attendance to one camp this year! Signing up for both camps will cost only $25 -- two camps for the price of one! Spaces are limited to 20 students/camp, so sign up SOON using the form below, or by calling the museum at 316-321-9333.
History Explorers: June 14-17 (Tue-Fri), 10am-noon
Join us on a trip back through time into the history of Butler County! From Native American cultures, to early settlers, to workers and homemakers in the oil boom, we will explore how people lived, worked, and played in Kansas. A variety of activities and crafts throughout our museum and grounds will bring history to life and give kids something to bring home and show off every day!
- LEARN how we study the past, and do it yourself with authentic artifacts and photographs
- EXPERIENCE bartering and trade at the Log Cabin and General Store
- CREATE pioneer toys and play Native American games
- EXPLORE the experience of Kansas pioneers and immigrants
- LIVE the life of a boomtown family at the Lease House and Cable Tool Rig
.. and lots more!
Camp Innovation: July 12-15 (Tue-Fri), 10am-noon
Discover the exciting world of science and technology, and learn how scientific innovation impacts everyone’s daily lives. Each day will investigate a different field of science, natural history, or technology. Students will have the opportunity create their own innovations through experiments and activities, and will see how science and history come together as they learn how geology started a revolution in oil exploration right here in Butler County!
- Discover the difference between SCIENCE and ENGINEERING, and try the scientific method for yourself
- Learn how rocks are formed and how we explore for oil, and experience the challenge of cable tool drilling on GEOLOGY day
- Dig for artifacts, learn about prehistoric life, and discover the difference between ARCHAEOLOGY and PALEONTOLOGY
- Explore life in the water and view the world beneath the microscope on BIOLOGY day
- Plus wrap up the week with a helping of DIRT CAKE!
SUMMER CAMP IS NOW FULL! Thanks to everyone who signed up!
PREVIOUS SUMMER CAMPS
In 2015 kids from El Dorado and the surrounding area came out to the museum for our History Explorers camp, June 8-12, and our Earth Explorers science camp, June 22-26. Check out the slideshow to see some of the fun we had!